I absolutely love this topiary! I found it at Southern Living. I live in the Texas panhandle and unlike the rest of the state, we get all four seasons. This year, however, it has still been hot!! Average temps this time of year are normally 60s and 70s but it has been in the high 90s still! Its getting old. The very worst part about it is that nobody is selling pumpkins yet!!! You better believe as soon as a pumpkin patch opens, I will be making me one of these!
Tuesday, September 21, 2010
Monday, September 20, 2010
So I decided that I wanted to make some of the wooden candy corns that I have seen invading blog land and that was when it hit me... corn on a stick!
What you need:
- 1/4" dowel (I got mine from walmart)
- gorilla glue
- wooden base
Here are the steps that I took to make it:
- I printed off a candy corn clip art and cut it out for my pattern. I made the pattern three different sizes varying just a little before I printed each out.
- I traced the pattern onto my free plywood that I have been bragging about and cut it out with my jigsaw.
- I painted my candy corn and used my sander to round the edges.
- After that, I drilled a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the corn to match the 1/4" dowel that I bought from walmart.
- I cut the dowel to three different lengths that I wanted which were 6", 9" and 12"
- I found the bases at Lowes in the fencing department and they came with 1/4" hole drilled already.
- I glued the dowel into the base with gorilla glue and painted them white
- When it was all dry, I attached the candy corn to the top with a little more glue and tied raffia around the base
It really was sooo sooo easy!
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Ok so this is the first year that I have really decorated for halloween and I love it! This being my first year and all though, I just can't bring myself to add the "spook" factor that some of you brave girls do, BUT I did really want a sign that said spooky. So although I am not brave enough for the spiders just yet, this is my take at a "spooky" sign! It was really easy!
I got this plywood for FREE from Lowes the other day because it had been in the scrap bin for a while!! I was excited! I cut it down to 6x15 and then painted it with my acrylic paint. I just scrapbooking ink to give it the stained look (just because I am lazy and it is waaaaay easier). Next I deco'd the "spooky" on and walla I was done!
Thursday, September 16, 2010
I was completely and totally inspired by brown paper packages (as usual) and the 2x4 pumpkin that she made. I decided to try to make one too and I was really pleased with the way that it turned out! Tell me what you think! I am also thinking of making a smaller one and a bigger one too!!
Monday, September 13, 2010
I found this ugly brass chandelier at a garage sale for $5.oo. I bought it and refinished it to be brushed nickel. I bought new globes at Lowes for only $2.oo a piece. The whole things was less than $20.oo and I think that it turned out pretty good!